Monday, April 25, 2011

how appropriate

I have been thinking about Easter all week.  I kept feeling that I was missing something and thought maybe it was because 3 of my kids would not be waking up to Easter candy and coloring eggs.  I had been studying the Saviors life and Resurrection all week, studying conference talks, scriptures, youtube videos, and really thought I understood it all.  Of course, just when we think it is all going good, something happens to humble us.

I was ready for Church on time, walking out the door, all ready to be spiritually fed.  I always look forward to Church.  There was a time when I dreaded the thought of going, and only went because it was the right thing to do.  Now I love going.  I love Sunday School.  I love the Sacrament talks.  I love Fast and testimony meeting.  I love Relief Society.  I enjoy every meeting.  I love the feeling I have when it is finished, like a renewal of Spirit.

Needless to say, I never made it to the car.  I fell out my front door, right on my butt, skirt flying up, scraping and twisting arms, twisting an ankle and foot.  My foot immediately swelled, and I couldn't stand on it.  Once I got in the house, ice bags were placed on it, they propped it up, and Kiana stayed home with me in case I needed to run to the after hours clinic.  Drue headed off to Church, because he was being called as A Primary teacher. 

I sat for 3 hours, with ice on my foot and ankle, feeling lousy and depressed.  Why would this happen before Church?  Why me?  What did I need to learn?  As I pondered the meaning of Easter I realized that although I had focused my attention and studies on the Resurrection, I had not truly considered the Atonement.  My pain was His pain.  My humiliation was His humiliation.  My Joy is because of Him.  he takes my sorrow upon Himself.  How can I ever be like Him?

I hurt today.  I know He hurts today too--for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment