Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The modesty issue--leggings

UGH!  Once again the subject of modesty is getting debated.  I just read an article on leggings and if they are modest or not.  IMO if all you are wearing is a pair of leggins, you probably are immodest.  First, if you are a female, it is immodest to go topless.  Secondly, if you are male, well, it is probably immodest to wear leggings anywhere.

One comment that I enjoyed was "If all you have to do in your life is look and judge what others are wearing, then holy cow! "You must be one of the lucky few on this earth." Life is too short and there are so many more important things too worry about in life than leggings, with or without a knee length dress. Styles and trends come and go so fast as does youth. "Teach a man correct principles and let him govern himself" Joseph Smith. I also think that youth today need more adults to be advocates for them than judges of them."

I wish the people in my daughter's life were advocates of Joseph Smith's advice--to teach correct principles and let people govern themselves.  So many people here in the "bubble" (new term I learned from comments describing Utah) worry more about rules than they do about missionary work.  If you want to share the Gospel, teach the Gospel, and help a young man or lady to feel the Spirit, you focus on teaching them, rather than judging them.  If you get them to FEEL the Spirit, to have a testimony, THEN they will govern themselves and learn the principles.  BUT, if you impose rules, you will get rebellion, and the principles may never be taught, and you might lose a member.

We have a few kids in our ward who have fallen by the wayside, or chose to not attend Church in our ward or go to YM/YWs because of the rules implemented.  Twice my daughter has been told to not wear shorts or capris, and if she chose to, she was not welcome.  I can't imagine either of my missionaries telling a new convert this.  I feel as if I am in a constant spiritual struggle with some members who care more about "rules" than they do about my daughter's salvation.  Everything she learns about the Gospel has to come from home, because she has so many forces against her in the place she should feel the Spirit.

Anyway, enough of my rant and back to the leggings.  Why would leggings be immodest?  THEY COVER UP FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!  So, a T-shirt is immodest because it sometimes is used to cover up areas another shirt does not cover???  It is all so ridiculous to me.

I like what one woman said: "If we are critical about their appearance, rather than welcoming, we might hurt their feelings and drive them away. I'm always so happy to see folks at church that I don't worry too much about what they're wearing."