Thursday, September 15, 2011

Truly Blessed

A friend of mine from high school is currently in India with a group to train and teach life skills.  Every day she graces us with a piece of her adventures.  Now you would have to know her, but she is the sweetest person in the world, and her heart is so big.  She has dealt with her own life issues, losing her husband at an early age to cancer and raising her young children all by herself.  But she didn't feel sorry for herself, she gave back.  And gave back, and gave back. 

Today she wrote about teaching young children to wash their hands and brush their teeth, and looked up to see their mothers standing in pouring rain, pressed up against the doorway, straining to hear every word.  Every mother wants what is best for their child, and yet in so many places in the world, they are limited.

I have been thinking about what I have and what others don't have the past couple of days.  Destinee's companion had this picture of their shower on her blog, and I couldn't help but be proud of her for being willing to serve in Guatemala despite the trials, and the health issues she had before and during her mission.  She loves those people, and she loves the Lord enough.


I have also thought a lot lately about individual trials, and how my kids have handled them.  A year ago we were experiencing one of those trials.  My husband went in for hip surgery and we thought it would be like his first one.  It was not.  He didn't handle any of the medication well, and despite being totally incoherent and having an allergic reaction, they made us take him home.  He was throwing up, couldn't stand well, dizzy and pretty sick.  I wish I had known then to fight harder.  I told them to keep him and they said no.  I complied.

When we got him home, he got worse.  I spent every day and night wondering if I would lose my husband to stupid medications.  They were things he needed like blood thinners, antibiotics, etc.  He couldn't keep anything down, couldn't get out of bed, and was covered from head to toe in rashes.  I felt so alone--except for the wonderful home health care.  It is probably my own fault because I am not one to "need" anything and can "do" everything by myself  But I did learn a few things during that trial.  I learned that sometimes things happen and we need to rely totally upon the Lord, and sometimes His angels.  I learned that sometimes people just need to know that they are not alone.  And in my darkest hour, I was once again reminded that there is always light, even if it doesn't come when we expect it or in the way we want it to.

Our trials are nothing compared to those out in the world, and we are truly a blessed people, but it doesn't make it any easier.  The Atonement was for us, and our life lessons are for us, and we need to take those trials and turn them into something good like my friend has.  I am thankful for her example, and for her JOY in life.  Yes, I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment