Saturday, August 7, 2010

thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.......

“My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
“And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes” (D&C 121:7–8)

Most people that know me don't know that I have suffered with a certain affliction for a few years.  It is called Fibromyalgia, and is a common condition characterized by long-term, body-wide pain and tender points in joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, morning stiffness, sleep problems, headaches, numbness in hands and feet, depression, and anxiety.  Mine probably began 15 years ago after the birth of my last child, but I was told over and over that I was "just tired".  It took a female doctor to finally diagnose me with something more than just being tired.  Of course, she actually listened--go figure.

 Most of the time I do okay with it, but there are times when I have an episode.  I literally hurt, no matter what.  It is those days when I wonder what I am doing and why.  Most of the time I have no problem doing an hour on my treadmill, but give me an episode, and I am in pain when I walk to the car.

This past week I have had an episode.  It really began on my birthday when I drank a Diet Coke.  Yep, that triggers it.  I have been almost Diet Coke, and soda free for almost 2 years.  In those 2 years, I have had hardly any pain associated with my Fibro.  It still happens once in awhile, but I have dramatically cut down on episodes. 

The scripture above helps to remind me that I can do it--I can endure this pain.  And things can always be worse.  Mine is such a minor affliction.  Positive attitude always helps too.  The more I feel sorry for myself, the more I feel the pain.  The more I focus on someone else, the less pain felt.  I think that may be a lesson the Savior was trying to teach us--focus on others, and not ourselves.

I am still feeling weepy when I think of Destinee and Kade being gone.  I can't wait for school to get back in session so I can go to the Temple again.  I really think it renews the Spirit.  I love going in the late mornings when things aren't overly busy, and I am not in a hurry to get back home.  I enjoyed that time with Destinee so much, especially the day we did work for Grandma and Aunt Geri.  What a special day that was!

No comments:

Post a Comment